DIY Treatment To Skin Allergies


on

16 comments

When I first contracted severe contact dermatitis, I was prescribed oral steroids for it. The ugly rashes went away but it left me looking fat, feeling bloated and with a hideous moon facie. Despite the cured allergies, I was annoyed at how I looked like. That's when I knew I had to come up with a better treatment to my frequent case of contact dermatitis.

Cetaphil + prednisone combo for my contact dermatitis


You'll need
  • a tablet of Prednisone, 5mg (available at Mercury Drug, ~P5/tablet)
  • kitchen pestle
  • small cosmetic jar
  • spatula
  • your favorite moisturizer, I use Cetaphil moisturizing lotion


Procedure for the DIY Treatment
1. Pulvurize the Prednisone tablet using a kitchen pestle. Make sure the tablet is still sealed inside its packet.


2. Transfer pulvurized content into an empty cosmetic pot.


3. Since Cetaphil moisturizing lotion has a pump, I use 1 pump for 1 tablet of Prednisone used. If you are using other moisturizers, just make sure you come up with a 2:1 ratio of the moisturizer and powdered prednisone.


4. Mix powdered steroid until most of the powders are dissolved into the moisturizer. This takes time. After this, you now have a cheap, topical alternative to using oral steroids for your skin allergies!



Dosage 
Slather a thin film of mixture onto the areas affected 3x daily until the rashes resolve. If you have a small span of allergy, the whole pot can last you 2 full weeks. For bigger areas, this mixture is good for approx 3 days.



Storage
Room temperature. Be ready with your spatula every once in a while just to make sure that the prednisone particles that settle are dissolved back to the moisturizer.


Efficacy
In my case, I have observed that my allergies tend to calm down the following day (less redness, less inflamed-looking, less dry and less itchy). Full recovery of my skin happens within a week if it's a small patch of contact dermatitis.




I kept googling related literature on the efficacy of prednisone tablets used as topicals but have not found any. This DIY skin allergy treatment may be lacking in scientific evidence as to its efficiency but basing on the photos above, you can tell that it works amazing on my skin.

16 comments

  1. Emma Ai
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...