Sally Hansen Bleaching Kit Review


on

10 comments

Ever since I dyed my hair a lovely light ash brown, I was compelled to make sure that my brows were not as black as it naturally is. I always use Sally Hansen's Creme Hair Bleach to turn my brows into a natural-looking brownish shade. (you can check out how weird my black brows look on brown hair HERE)

Now, there are two types of Sally Hansen Bleaching kits out there, Extra Strength and Bleach For Face.

Sally Hansen Creme Hair Bleach Extra Strength ~510php ($10)
available at Watson's, SM Beauty, Landmark Dep't Store


Sally Hansen Creme Hair Bleach For Face, ~360php ($7)


Label Says: quickly and effectively lightens dark, unwanted hair so that it blends beautifully into your skin tone with natural-looking results. Just one application softens and fades dark hair so it becomes unnoticeable. Easy to use, even if you've never bleached before.

  • smooth, no-drip formula
  • mixes easily
  • fast-acting yet gentle
  • sweet almond scent

Product Efficiency. This kit does its job in lightening my brow color to suit my dyed hair. I love how  bleaching gives the face a softer look and defines the brows in a more shapely manner. The fact that all these can happen at home rather than heading to the salon is superb. The instructions that 

How to bleach/dye the brows; Sally Hansen Creme Hair Bleach For Face
              comes with a detailed and easy-to-follow instruction leaflet


However, I experienced that there is a tendency to over-bleach the hair if I follow the leave-for-8minutes instruction that came with it. I squirm at the sight of white-tipped hairs when over-bleaching happens.

Prevent Over-bleaching. Through time (been dyeing my brows with Sally Hansen's Creme Hair Bleach for 2 years now), I realized that the best way to prevent hideous white-tipped hair with Sally Hansen's bleaching kit is to do 2 sets of 4-minute application. Instead of leaving the cream for a full 8 minutes, break it into 2 sets. 

Do not be alarmed if you still see a somewhat black hair after the first 4-minute application. Wait for 5 minutes before re-application, and you might see a lighter set of brows after this last set.

How Sally Hansen Creme Hair Bleach works on me:
topmost: black brows
middle: first 4 minutes of bleaching
bottom: after 2 sets of brow bleaching

You don't need to create mixtures twice. The initial mixture you have created will be enough if you have thin or medium-thick brows. Fuller brows might have to do a 'second serving' of the mixture.

Frequency Of Use. I use the kit every two weeks.


Extra Strength vs Bleach For Face.  


Bleach For Face
Extra Strength
Price
~P360 ($7)
~P510 ($10)
Tools in the Kit
Crème, Activator, mixing plate, spatula, instruction leaflet
Crème, Activator, Pre-Conditioner, mixing cup, spatula, instruction leaflet
Non-Drip
Yes, once crème and activator mixes well, it creates a non-drip formula
No, wait for an additional 2minutes while mixing to create a frothier mixture, if you don’t, it drips
Gentle Formula
May sting, expect a lil redness that will go off within 10 minutes
May sting, expect a lil redness that will go off within 10 minutes
Availability
Easily runs out of stock
Almost always available
Scent
Unpleasant but tolerable
Unpleasant but tolerable
Net Wt
Crème 1 oz/28.3g
Activator 0.25 oz/7g
Crème 1.5oz/42.5g
Activator 0.75oz/21.2g
Pre-Condish 1 oz/29.5mL


I'd get any of the two depending on my budget because they work pretty much the same. If you have other problem areas that need bleaching, you're better off with Extra Strength.

Additional Tips. Make your Sally Hansen Creme Hair Bleach experience worthwhile.
  1. Make sure to follow all instructions except the 8-minute rule. 
  2. Tighten caps and lids to prevent product spills. 
  3. Don't forget to do a patch test on the wrist before using the kit on the brows. 
  4. Cover the hairs fully. Poke the brows with the spatula applicator to make sure you tuck in some cream on the base of the hairs.
Ho, ho, ho... merry Christmas!
I'm using the Extra Strength; like it's gonna drip on my lids!
to make it non-drip, please see chart above
I am satisfied with the results every after bleach. My brow photos above still look blah but please stay tuned this week for a post on how I groom them.

I have been repurchasing Sally Hansen Creme Hair Bleaching Kits for the longest time. It works well to help me achieve a softer-looking face through lightened brows and prevent me from looking funny when I dye my hair brown.
-----------------
UPDATE: In the not-so-recent months, the Sally Hansen Creme Bleach Kit always runs out of stock. If you get to experience this, you may opt to use the Andrea Gentle Creme Bleach.




10 comments

  1. Anonymous
  2. Anonymous
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...